It serves contemporary European cuisine inside a Beijing historical temple dating back to the Qing Dynasty.
And now, TRB Hutong has won the title of best fine dining restaurant in the world, coming on top of the 2019 Travellers’ Choice list based on millions of reviews and ratings left by TripAdvisor users over the past year.
The Beijing restaurant, which charges 688RMB (AU$143 or NZ$155 or SG$134) for a five-course menu, was first opened in 2012. Since then, it has earned various accolades, including Restaurant of the Year awards from The Beijinger and Time Out.
“Charismatic GM and former sommelier Ignace Lecleir takes pains to make every guest feel like a VIP, and the regular arrivals of complimentary amuse bouche ensures nobody leaves unsatisfied,” the verdict read, according to CNN Travel.
Coming in second place was France’s Epicure, a three Michelin star restaurant headed by acclaimed chef Eric Frechon. Ristorante Ville Crespi in Italy grabbed the third spot, with the reviews noting its “creative, delicious and unique dining experience”.
The world’s best fine dining restaurants in 2019 according to TripAdvisor:
- TRB Hutong, Beijing, China
- Epicure, Paris, France
- Ristorante Villa Crespi, Orta San Giulio, Italy
- Restaurante Benazuza, Cancun, Mexico
- The Jane, Antwerp, Belgium
- Le Brouillarta, Saint-Jean-de-Luz, France
- David's Kitchen, Chiang Mai, Thailand
- El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
- Aramburu, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Adam's, Birmingham, United Kingdom