Everyone can enjoy these delicious allergy-friendly double chocolate brownies. They’re fun to make and even more fun to eat.
Makes: 12 brownies
- ⅔ cup mashed banana
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup cocoa dark vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup cocoa dark vegan chocolate chips (for topping)
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a square 20cm square baking pan.
- Sift together the cocoa powder, flours, baking powder, xanthan and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer (or use a mixing bowl and an electric beater or spoon).
- Gently heat on a low flame one cup of the chocolate chips and agave until just melted and then stir in vanilla.
- Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix gently until well combined.
- Mix together mashed banana and apple sauce. Fold in this mixture into the chocolate batter.
- Fold in chopped dates. Spoon mixture into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then sprinkle the extra 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the mix
- Place back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- The brownies are done when an inserted skewer comes out clean. Let cool at room temperature before serving.
This article was written in partnership with Over60.