Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have confirmed that their “secret wedding” revealed in the shocking Oprah interview did not happen how it was described.
The couple’s publicised marriage certificate proved the claim was untrue and the couple confirmed this in a statement to The Daily Beast.
“The couple exchanged personal vows a few days before their official/legal wedding on May 19,” the statement reads.
Royal fans were frustrated to find out the pair lied, especially as Markle had said in the interview footage that the Archbishop of Canterbury was present at the vows.
“You know, three days before our wedding, we got married. No one knows that. The vows that we have framed in our room are just the two of us in our backyard with the Archbishop of Canterbury,” Markle explained.
Prince Harry agreed, saying, “just the three of us”.
Stephen Borton, former chief clerk at the Faculty Office, told The Sun that Markle was “obviously confused”.
“I’m sorry, but Meghan is obviously confused and clearly misinformed,” he said.
“They did not marry three days earlier in front of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
“The Special Licence I helped draw up enabled them to marry at St George’s Chapel in Windsor and what happened there on May 19, 2018 and was seen by millions around the world was the official wedding as recognised by the Church of England and the law.
“What I suspect they did was exchange some simple vows they had perhaps written themselves, and which is fashionable, and said that in front of the Archbishop – or, and more likely, it was a simple rehearsal.”
The Archbishop of Canterbury has not commented publicly on the event, which has left others questioning whether it happened.
Rev Mark Edwards, a C of E priest from Newcastle, also told The Sun: “When I called Lambeth Palace to ask about this I was told Justin doesn’t do private weddings. Meghan doesn’t understand.
“But the fact that the Archbishop has not commented publicly needs to be addressed,” he added.
This article originally appeared on Over60.