Lynette Dawson’s family have called for one final request from Chris Dawson after he was found guilty of murdering his wife after she “disappeared” 40 years ago.

Justice Ian Harrison found Chris Dawson guilty of Lynette’s murder – 40 years after she went missing from the family home in Sydney’s Northern Beaches in January 1982.

The trial, which gained worldwide traction thanks to the podcast Teacher’s Pet, saw the incredible decision handed down following a seven week trial and a marathon four hour ruling.

Lynette’s brother, Greg Simms has said justice has finally been served after she was murdered by someone who loved her.

“I’m a little emotional – after 40 years, my sister has been vindicated,” he said.

“This verdict is for Lyn. Today her name has been cleared.

“The court has found what we believed to be true for so many years: Chris Dawson took the life of our beloved Lyn back in 1982.”

Unfortunately, Lynette’s parents and other brother passed away in the years following her murder, not knowing what would come out of the case.

Mr Simms has since called on Dawson to do the right thing and reveal where he buried Lynette so she can finally rest in peace.

“We would also love to remember those who loved Lyn who are not here to see this judgement,” he said.

“She is still missing, we still need to bring her home.

“We would ask Chris Dawson to find it in himself to finally do the decent thing and allow us to bring Lyn home to a peaceful rest, finally show her the dignity she deserves.”

When the case reopened, Dawson requested a judge-only trial due to the popularity of the Teacher’s Pet podcast, stating that the jury would have their decisions impacted by it.

This required Justice Harrison to outline the reasons behind his decision also saying that the prosecution had to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Lynette was dead, that Dawson had killed her with the possible involvement of assistance of others, and that he disposed of her body.

The Supreme Court justice shared several findings to support his decision and weighed in on evidence presented during the trial, including ruling that Lynette had died on the date alleged by the prosecution and dismissing claims from Dawson that he contacted his wife as “lies”.

Justice Harrison said it was “simply absurd” and defied “common sense” that Lynette would be in contact with the person “who was the reason for her departure” from her home.

He also ruled that Lynette didn’t leave home voluntarily, with the prosecution providing multiple reasons that were “strongly persuasive” when considered together, including that she adored her children, hadn’t taken any clothing or personal items with her, was mentally stable, and was dependent on her husband to drive her everywhere.

“Lynette Dawson is dead … she died on or about 8 January 1982 and she did not voluntarily abandon her home,” he told the court.

Justice Harrison dismissed claims from the defence that Lynette was spotted after January 8.

He found that Dawson told JC, “Lyn’s gone, she’s not coming back, come back to Sydney and help look after the kids and live with me”, when he picked her up from a camping trip at South West Rocks with friends between January 10 and 12.

However, he said that he disagreed with claims that Dawson was motivated to kill his wife because of financial reasons, nor that he had in his mind that he would kill her when he left with JC.

“That decision was made following their return and after the teen had left for South-West Rocks,” Justice Harrison said.

He said that he was “satisfied” that Dawson resolved to kill Lynette while JC was camping.

Following the verdict, Dawson was taken into custody, with his lawyer, Greg Walsh, telling Justice Harrison that Dawson would likely apply for bail before his sentencing hearing, a date for which hasn’t been set yet.

Image: Getty Images

This article first appeared on OverSixty.