This impressive-looking strawberry cake is much simpler to make than it looks.
- Butter, for greasing
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups ricotta
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain flour
- 4 strawberries, halved
- Brown sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm springform pan with butter.
- Place egg whites in small, clean bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Add egg yolks, ricotta, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla into a large bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy. Fold in flour and beat until well combined.
- Gradually fold in egg whites into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan. Press strawberries on the top of batter. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake is firm and cooked through. Let cool before serving.